Stains can be very stubborn and take a lot of time to clean up on your carpet. This is one problem that I think all homeowners dread. Stains on the carpet can affect its appearance and also ruin its feel as well. There are many different kinds of stains which make it even more challenging for homeowners to handle.
One type of stain that is really problematic is oil-based stains. This is because usually water is used in trying to clean and remove stains but this won’t exactly work if the stain is oil-based since oil is not soluble in water. This makes it even tougher for homeowners to find a way to get rid of the ugly oil-based stains on their carpet.
Do you have a stubborn oil-based stain on your carpet at home? Well, don’t give up just yet. Here are some simple steps that you can try out in order to effectively clean this very difficult carpet cleaning problem.
• Get rid of the oil-based foreign material on the carpet as soon as you can in order to prevent it from seeping deeper into the fibers of your carpet. You can use a spoon or a dull knife to scrape it up and remove it.
• Use some cornstarch and apply it onto the stain that is remaining on the carpet. Let the cornstarch sit on the oil-based stain for about 30 minutes or an hour and then use a vacuum cleaner to extract it. The cornstarch will help absorb the oil from the carpet so that you can effectively remove the stain with the succeeding steps.
• Combine equal parts of table salt, white vinegar, and borax in order for you to make a cleaning paste that will help eliminate the oil-based stain. Apply the cleaning paste that you have just made on the stain and allow it to harden for an hour or two.
• Use a dull knife to remove big chunks of the hardened cleaning paste and vacuum everything up using your vacuum cleaner. You will notice that the oil-based stain will already be gone.
• Rinse the carpet by applying a cup of clean water to remove any residue that could remain. Dry the entire area with some clean towels and you’re done.
Cleaning oil-based stains can be very tricky if you don’t know the right thing to do. Be sure to keep the guide above in mind so that you won’t have any trouble cleaning oil-based stains on your carpet in the future.